Wednesday, October 03, 2007

I'm in a Rush to Pace Myself

I am relatively new to running. I joined a boot camp with some friends back in April and as it turns out, that was the only kick in the rear I needed to get me moving. I was always an athletic kid. I played soccer for as long as I can remember, ran short distance track and could play football with the boys even when the ball had to be fetched out of the prickle bushes. I was a full on tomboy. I'm sure that is why I was blessed with two boys. Fate was kind to me and knew if I had a girly girl, I wouldn't have a clue what to do! After both of my pregnancies, I walked like mad and used exercise dvd's to get back into shape. I always thought that I'd like to try running but then the excuses would quickly follow. Things like "No way! You'll never go further than a block!" and "Don't do it! Think of your knees!" Eventually, I settled into a life of non-activity. That is, no activity unless it involved chasing after two kids, cleaning the bathrooms and doing massive amounts of laundry. Then last April happened. Boot camp happened. On the first day of the boot camp, our trainer had us run from the parking lot to a community center that was approximately 1/4 mile down the road. I got there but was panting so hard that I could hardly hear my friend say "what the heck are we doing here!?" At that moment, something clicked....or I freaked, whichever you prefer...and I decided that was it. I was going to do this running thing and I was never going to pant like that again! Needless to say, there was a lot of panting after that but I've stuck with it and have found something I truly love. I started out too hard and suffered a sprained ankle and achillies tendonitis in both ankles that had my butt on the couch and my feet elevated for over a month. But I got back out there and eventually got two 5k's and a 4-mile race under my belt. There is an 8k around the corner that I am hoping to complete as well. Running does something incredible for me. It magically erases any stresses of the day. It makes me feel like I can do anything and I truly believe that it makes me a better mommy. I love when my preschooler says, with a big smile, "so mommy, are you going to go for a little run today?" He knows what it does for me.

So what's the problem? The problem is time. Which I'm sure is the same problem that so many of you have. My youngest son goes to preschool on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday mornings. On those mornings, and typically one morning on the weekend, I get a quick run in. I drop him off, race home and get out there as quick as I can before I have to jump in the shower just in time to go pick him up again. All three days I do this and then nothing. Nothing other than strength training and dvd's until the next Wednesday. When that next Wednesday finally comes, I'm so excited to get out there that I run way too fast and typically burn out by mile 3.5. Every Wednesday is like starting from scratch. By the weekend run, I'm up to a comfortable 5.5 miles but I would really like to go further. So what is the secret? I'm sure there are a lot of you out there that have been where I am now and have found a way through it and increased your mileage so I'd love to hear your tips! Until then, I'm off to put my running shoes by the door so I can get out there again tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen! It's like you took a page out of my life. My pre-schoolers also get excited when I put the running shoes on (probably because they know I'll be less grouchy). The great thing is that they want to go too - so they go for a little bit and then they're dropped off with daddy.