Tuesday, January 29, 2008

This just in...

Hello fellow Fountain of Youth Discoverers! Came across an article in today's paper. It seems that exercise may be protecting your body from the aging process! Yes, you heard me right, exercise may be protecting your body from the aging process. To quote my source (The Dallas Morning News) "A study of British twins found that exercise appears to slow the shriveling of the protective tips on bundles of genes inside cells, perhaps keeping frailty at bay...People who did a moderate amount of exercise--about 100 minutes a week (this is where you marathoners snicker) had telomeres that on average looked like those of someone five or six years younger than those who did the least--about 16 minutes a week. Those who did the most--about three hours a week--had telomeres that appeared to be about nine years younger than those who did the least."

I don't know about you, but when I see unfit, indulgent, undisciplined people, I hurt for them. Exercise is difficult to cultivate into one's lifestyle--I will not try to deny it, but the payoff...whoa, Nelly!

I don't exercise because I want to be hot (okay, it would be really nice to be hot), I exercise because I want to enjoy old age. I want to crawl on the floor with my son. I want to climb trees with my daughter. I want to...never mind, that's private.

I thought you would find this information interesting. If you care to follow up, Stephen Coles, who studies aging at UCLA, was quoted in the article. I'm sure a quick Google would bring up a wealth of information.

And Congratulations on your good health!

No comments: