Tuesday, January 08, 2008

BIrthday reflection

I am sitting here in relative quiet, which is rare in my household, thinking about how this is the last day of being ?? years old. Tomorrow is my birthday, and although I won't be hitting the next decade, it is now so close that I can feel it's breath on the back of my neck. Twenty, ten or even 5 years ago I would not have pictured my life the way it truly turned out. That's not a bad thing and actually it is better than I could have imagined.
In my teens I just wanted to be in my 20s, in my early 30s I felt like I was in my 20s and now, I just feel pretty content. I always had looked forward to 40s. I had my first two boys when I was too young, but that also meant they'd be grown or close to it when I was 40. I used to be a career ladder climber, knowing I would oh so be the big kahoona by 40. Top of my game, money, time.........but as chance had it, I met the love of my life and re-thought and re-planned. Trust me, I don't take to change all so well and didn't transistion so well in the beginning. Now, here I am; career on hold, stay-at-home mom with two more boys who I have had to unique opportunity to learn from all my previous parenting mistakes in addition to staying at home with them. When I was the "career gal" and my first two were babies, I really thought stay-at-home moms didn't have a real life.....had it soooo easy. Boy, have I learned my lesson by walking (even running now) in those shoes.
What is that old saying? Life is what happens when you are busy planning it. No, I am certainly not where I thought I'd be but, boy have I been pleased with how it all turned out anyways. I am looking forward to all the suprises life throws at me during my last year of this decade. I've even registered for a 1/2 marathon this year when the farthest I've ever run is 7 miles....wish me luck (they do let you walk some don't they?? ;) ).

3 comments:

Trice said...

Your post left me teary. I feel the same in so many ways. I turned 43 this year-- had a baby at 42 and am the old lady on the block, but I do not feel it. I still run everywhere and having young kids really truly keeps us younger. Happy Birthday to You!! 1/2 marathon is THE greatest distance. It is far, but not so far that you are done in. Have a great time. 7 miles is a perfect base and once you get to 10 you can truly run as far as you want.

carla said...

No, I am certainly not where I thought I'd be but, boy have I been pleased with how it all turned out anyways.
--------------
I think this often and also believe its the key to a happy life.
I hae so many friends who constantly look BEHIND them and mull WHAT IF...

youre never happy then, huh?


HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!

Anonymous said...

I have to chime in on this one...
I am simply dumbfounded at where I am in life. It was so difficult to get here...it took a lot of trust and faith. Honestly, alot of people have tried to take me down and I've had to leave behind more than my destiny has allowed me to take along. Now I'm stripped and raw, REAL, and utterly amazed at this wondrous thing we call Life.

Happy Birthday!