Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Running as a Lifestyle

Well, I'll mention this on my personal blog, but since seeMOMMYrun probably gets a teeny-tiny bit more traffic than my blog does (hee-hee-hee-ha-ha-ha-ho...ho...ahem) I'll blog about it here, too.
(What Stephanie??? Would you get to the point! As my husband would say.)
Hopefully you can tell from my high spirits that I went for a run. How far I went is not nearly as important as where I went. I ran to the library for the 10:05 Lapsit with my little baby buddy boy. He had a great time and so did I. It's so fun to watch the little tykes. And then I ran back home.
So my point is that running is a lifestyle: I hate cars. I mean, obviously they are a necessary evil but, ultimately, I have a choice in the matter. If that means my life moves at a speed that is less than 70 MPH, then that's just the way it is.
Of course, I'm more self-conscious of my Ped lifestyle here than I was in that other country I used to live in and that's because, as Trice commented, that country is full of active walkers. But I imagine I'll get over it. Then I'll be running to the grocery store and to the post office and anywhere else that I am required to be.
Otherwise, I'll just stay home.

6 comments:

just4ofus said...

What country are you from?

just4ofus said...

Nevermind, I see Germany from the post below.

just4ofus said...

Nevermind, I see Germany from the post below.

carla said...

so we're invited to your other blog?

Carla

Anonymous said...

I live 0.2 mi from the grocery store. When the weather is nice and we don't need much, it is waaaay quicker to put both kids in the stroller and walk over than to load them in the car, drive, unload them, shop, then reverse and repeat. Inevitably, though, I run into a neighbor on the way there or back who pulls over and asks if I need a ride. Just as inevitably, I get a strange look when I say, "No -- just enjoying the walk." Crazy!

Crumbs said...

I've made a personal goal to bike anywhere in a 3 mile radius of my home. I live in Miami, so the weather makes it possible 9 months out of the year, even though the drivers/road conditions are like a war zone.

And I've heard that even a 10 minute burst of activity, 3 times a day, is just as good as one session of 30 minutes. So like the German woman said, Good that you're doing that.