I'm a the Human Cybertron*. When I run, I LOVE gadgets. I love knowing my heart rate and pace and speed and calories burned, etc, etc.
So, now that I'm nearly 9 weeks pregnant (and surprise, surprise: exhausted), I couldn't help but notice that my heart has been beating harder and faster, even when at rest. I went from a resting heart rate of 42 beats per minute to nearly 60.
Just for kicks, I strapped on my Polar Heart Rate Monitor yesterday and watched my rate as I went through my normal day. Man, this whole pregnancy thing is great exercise! ;)
Here is a sample of how hard my heart was working:
- Transferring wet clothes from the washer to the dryer: 75 beats per minute
- Making my son's peanut butter and jelly sandwich while he painstakingly described in detail his dream robot car: 85
- Walking our OLD dog around the block: 100
- Getting up to go to the bathroom...again: 70
- Taking dishes from the dining room table to the sink: 95
- Folding laundry: 95
Granted, none of these reached into Aerobic workouts, but dang, just doing everyday things at a slow pace is getting my blood pumping. I'm glad docs have discounted the whole "pregnant women should stay below 140 beats per minute" otherwise, I'd never be able to shower!
*What are you?