Wednesday, March 11, 2009

No wonder I'm so tired...

I'm a the Human Cybertron*.  When I run, I LOVE gadgets.  I love knowing my heart rate and pace and speed and calories burned, etc, etc.
So, now that I'm nearly 9 weeks pregnant (and surprise, surprise: exhausted), I couldn't help but notice that my heart has been beating harder and faster, even when at rest.   I went from a resting heart rate of 42 beats per minute to nearly 60. 

Just for kicks, I strapped on my Polar Heart Rate Monitor yesterday and watched my rate as I went through my normal day.  Man, this whole pregnancy thing is great exercise! ;)  
Here is a sample of how hard my heart was working:

  • Transferring wet clothes from the washer to the dryer: 75 beats per minute
  • Making my son's peanut butter and jelly sandwich while he painstakingly described in detail his dream robot car: 85
  • Walking our OLD dog around the block: 100
  • Getting up to go to the bathroom...again: 70
  • Taking dishes from the dining room table to the sink: 95
  • Folding laundry: 95

Granted, none of these reached into Aerobic workouts, but dang, just doing everyday things at a slow pace is getting my blood pumping.  I'm glad docs have discounted the whole "pregnant women should stay below 140 beats per minute" otherwise, I'd never be able to shower!







*What are you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha-ha, your son painstakingly describing his dream robot!!! What a beautiful image.