Monday, February 09, 2009

9 months in, 9 months out

After a particularly exhausting week, I realized that I'm carrying (or pushing) around a bunch of extra weight, diverting enough calories to grow a person, and suffering through sleep disturbances. Sounds like pregnancy, right? Except the baby is 6 months old. So, despite being the third child I've nursed, I think, perhaps, I've underestimated at times that I am still growing a child, so maybe don't be so hard on myself. This is tough since my standard for "recovered from pregnancy" has gotten higher with each one.

So, I won't be training for another marathon until Francesca turns one this summer, but my husband and I are signed up for an on-road and off-road duathlon in April. He mountain bikes, I trail run, I ride the road and he runs the roads. Shorter distances (relative to the marathon) but consistent training as a part of one's routine and keeping the foundation strong is key. Helpful for my physical and mental well-being and key for keeping the kids "on board".

Trying to put a 2-year-old in the jogger for the first time because you waited to get back into shape and then convincing him that sitting there for an hour or more is OK, let alone fun, is unlikely. Train them from birth, and they'll be climbing in the jogger every time you turn around. Plus they'll appreciate the good times - you know - when the temp is over 30 F and the run is under 90 minutes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Runningfor3, you make a very good point below. I wonder if children of running mommies are better able to sit still later as a result of Sitting Still training from such an early age. What do the rest of you think? I for one can vouch for a supernaturally calm 2 year old. Is this the result of spending so much time a. in the jogger and b. with mommy?

Another point covered by runningfor3, patient walks. We made a very rare trip to the mall yesterday. My little guy walked, albeit slowly, and LISTENED to me. I think this behavior can be attributed to, not to beleaguer the point, but the 90 minute mile. Other kids twice his size where strapped into strollers as their mothers rushed through the mall.

Anonymous said...

Sorry...blogger was telling me my post wasn't posted, so I pasted it as a comment. Oops.

Anonymous said...

I found that my oldest was my best in the jogger because I put her in it at 2 months and took her on most of my runs until she was 4. With her sister and brother, I always had to find somebody to watch her, so I might as well leave them all home and get some me time. My kids are 5 and 4 years apart, so I never did the double jogger. I'm good, but not that good. My youngest now gets impatient in the jogger, so I just accept that I might get in a 20 minute run or I might get in 2-3 five minute runs with some very slow jogging with him. He's 3 and likes to get out and run too.

I love my jogger. I think I'm emotionally attached to it. I'm just a running freak, what can I say. I had a picture of Henry in my baby clothes in my jogger on my site. I'll have to find it and post it.

Amy
Mom to 3
www.sofiabean.com