Friday, December 10, 2010

A Gift

I'm not getting any sleep. I'd like to say it's Colton, but it's not. Ok. Occasionally it's Colton, but for the most part it's Miles.


Colton turned 4 weeks on Tuesday. I know this is very soon to a. expect sleep, b. be running. BUT I want both.

This past Saturday I met up with my local running club for the first time since Colton was born. I was greeted with lots of smiling faces, congrats, and you-look-greats. I felt like it was my birthday or I had won the lottery or something. I just felt happy.

It was cold and windy, but I didn't care. I was running. I was running with friends. 6.6 miles later I was even more happy than I was before. MR PIC and I ran together the whole time and I couldn't help get excited for Boston training. Am I looking forward to the 20 mile runs in the cold? No. I am however looking forward to spending 3 uninterrupted-by-children hours with friends, doing something I love, something that will help my pre-baby body return, and something that makes me a better person, mom and wife. I'm looking forward to all the conversations that are to come. To the ups and downs on the road - figuratively and literally.

Mile 1 - 9:14
Mile 2 - 8:56
Mile 3 - 8:49
Mile 4 - 8:45
Mile 5 - 8:23
Mile 6 - 8:24

Monday my husband and I discussed a training/running schedule.

He goes to work VERY early. This means I would literally have to be running at 4 am - not getting up then - running then. This will not work. Partially because I am afraid to run alone in the cold and dark at that hour, but also because as mentioned above, our kids do not sleep. This means hubby would be getting up at 4am and it's ridiculous to think that he should have to wake up that early for me to get in a run.

I'm going to run when he gets home from work. Yes there will be days when he will be late, and I will not get to go. Knowing however that it's a standing date with me and the roads every afternoon/early evening, makes it easier to stay motivated throughout the day.

Last winter the treadmill was my saviour. I know it will again come in handy this winter too, however there is a new person to add to the training/running equation. Colton. With Miles not napping and Colton napping sporadically - I just can't count on my treadmill runs like I did last winter. I will need my husband this year for running, more than my treadmill.

I know this time is fleeting. I know this is the last time I will have a newborn.

I'm being realistic.

Monday I ran 5 lovely, cold and windy miles outside. Lovely because I got to run. Lovely because I maintained a very even pace inspite of the sub-freezing temperature and wind.

Mile 1 - 9:03
Mile 2 - 9:08
Mile 3 - 9:04
Mile 4 - 9:00
Mile 5 - 9:00

Tuesday I went for my first 2nd day in a row run. Three miles that were again windy, cold and hard. I'm not complaining. I got to run.

Mile 1 - 9:10
Mile 2 - 9:10
Mile 3 - 8:37

When you find yourself lacking motivation this winter. Tell yourself that you get to run.

You are lucky enough to be presented with the opportunity to run.

We all have different reasons for running. We have different reasons for why we may not be able to run as often or as far as we like. We should be appreciative however of the times we can or do go. Running is a gift.

http://www.mile-posts.blogspot.com/

No comments: