Thursday, November 13, 2008

Season of Thanks

About 1 month ago I sprained my back, my husband left for Iraq, my oldest son was giving me alot of grief. ....... I managed to justify a full fledged pity party that was worsened by the fact I couldn't even exercise to relieve stress........... I also ended my 2 year maternity hiatus from being a nurse. That was the thing that smacked me back into reality. I have been reminded over and over again over the last couple weeks while teaching in the Emergency Room just what a great life I have as do most of us.

Yes, my back has been hurting, but I am fortunate enough to be able to feel it. Unlike a young paraplegic I recently was fortunate enough to care for.

Yes, I am sad my hubby is in a war zone ~~ but I am lucky enough to be able to be married and to a great guy who dedicates a large portion of his life for the protection of others. Many never find "the right one"

Yes, my oldest is going a bit crazy~~ But I am so grateful that he has the physical capability to do stupid college things. He could be in a wheelchair or worse.

Yes, my other 3 boys can be overwhelming some days~~ But how lucky I am to have them and watch them grow, although too quickly. So many want but can't have children.

Yes, I run slow, no matter how much I run, I just won't ever be fast~~ But at least I have legs that CAN run at all. I got back out there today for my first post sprain walk/run and now I am loving my sore muscles because I have the ability to make them sore and the ability to feel it.

I hope you all have a great Thanksgiving Holiday, we all have so much to be thankful for.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

When life piles mercilessly upon us, it is often difficult to remember how blessed we are. Our children attend schools without fear of the building collapsing upon them, our daughters need not fear acid being thrown in their faces, we are free to vote, and we have legs and feet to run with. And children. We have our children.

You're right, Channelmarker, we have a great deal to be thankful for.

Anonymous said...

And least I forget. We have men and women volunteering to protect our liberties.

262crazy said...

Thank you for posting again -- and once again you hit the nail on the head. Thanks for reminding us of all we have to be thankful for this year! Take care.

Trice said...

I'm weepy reading your blog. I too am an Army wife-- we retired last month and I know how you feel in some ways. Your nursing side really brings great perspective. Keep it up- rely on friends and when they offer to help- TAKE It! Do not try to do it all on your own. FRGs are really helpful too.
Best to you and many blessings,
Trice

channelmarker said...

Trice,
What are FRG's. Family Readiness Groups? We are USMC. Thanks for the input. I bet in some ways you are glad to be retired.
Sherry