Monday, July 21, 2008

Crumbs: Sprint Triathlon Race Report



Last week, upon realizing I had a Sprint Triathlon in 5 days, with nary a training plan in site, I flipped out and completed a Brick Workout to end all Brick Workouts. (Okay, exaggerated a bit, but in my mind, I was in the Olympic Trials.)

In keeping with the idea of a "
tri," I hopped on my bike and sprinted the 3 miles to my gym, swam for 30 minutes straight, headed to the treadmill for 3 miles, then sprinted home on my bike.

I was exhausted...and couldn't walk the next day. So...back to tapering. And by tapering, I mean not
exercising at all. No amount of training could help me just a few days before an event...if anything, it would just fatigue my muscles, so I changed my attitude about this race.

You see, I'm moving out-of-state in 3 weeks. My good friend and running buddy talked me into this race as a "last hoorah." This would probably be my last chance to see the people I've confessed more to than my husband and all those folks who I feel like I know because we see each other on the trail or at races. I began to accept that I wouldn't break any of my records, so I might as well just enjoy the ocean view while I have it. It was a "Farewell to Miami Party" and I was going to try to have fun.

And amazing things happened.
  • I slept great the night before. (Traditionally, before races, my mind competes against my body: nightmares about oversleeping, getting lost on the race route or not being able to find the starting line.)
  • I didn't want to vomit at the starting line. When the gun went off, I jumped in and actually swam freestyle (normally, my heart pounds SO hard in fear that I can't breathe, so I do the backstroke).
  • I started passing other women on their mountain bikes and even some road bikes.
  • On the run, I didn't feel like taking walk breaks. Instead I chit chatted with runners around me.
  • I didn't long for the end of the race to come.
I had actually competed with the attitude that "This is recreation!" (Something I have often preached but more often forgotten on race day.) And, as I checked the scores, I was even astonished that I placed 3rd in my division.

I think I have found my perfect training plan!


(sorry -i'm having font/size issues!)

4 comments:

channelmarker said...

Great job!!!!

S. Kimzey Daniels said...

Like Dr. Wayne Dyer says, stop trying so hard...an issue for me, too. Way to go!

morgan said...

Fabulous, Crumbs. You kick you-know-what!

Stephanie said...

That's awesome! I wish I could have that attitude in September when I complete my first Sprint Triathlon. I'll be thinking of you and your "Recreational" attitude.