Friday, June 20, 2008

I Broke Up With Running

I broke up with running, just like the ads say.
We saw too much of each other, day after day.
And then when I got sick, it didn't nurse me like I expected.  Up until that point, running always made me feel better: my health and self-esteem.  I started to resent running.

Miami spring days turned molten and soggy - running didn't make me happy anymore.  The time on my watch dripped by and each step drained me.  I tried the treadmill at the gym, but the halogen lights made our affair seem so contrived.  I tried signing up for races to be inspired, but they came and went without sparking anything.

So I stopped.  I rested.  I cleansed my system.  Then I watched it rain for three days.  In the height of the storm, in torrential monsoon rains, I decided it was time to run again.

I am in love again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this post.

Anonymous said...

Way to get back out there.