Saturday, November 28, 2009

It's Who I Am

Being a mommy has changed my life. It *saved* my life - made me better - made me healthier - made me whole. There wasn't anything particularly wrong about my life pre-kids - but it wasn't amazing. I had friends. I had fun. I ran[sometimes].

I didn't really know myself though. Becoming a mommy made me realize what was important to me. In realizing this, I decided that the only way I could be a good mommy to them, was if I was a good person to myself. I needed to start treating myself and my body with the respect it deserved. I needed to be happy for all that I could do and had accomplished instead of focusing on what I didn't have or hadn't done.

Having kids made me appreciate every run I went on. I no longer had to run - I was privileged enough to get to run. I realized how important *me time* was. I realized that I felt the best during and after a run. I realized that I wasn't just a girl who ran - I was a runner girl.

In essence having kids made me find myself.

I would get up at 4:50(and still do at times) and head out the door in the dark for my runs. I found out who I was on these runs. What I was made of.

There isn't a day in my life that I'm not a mom. There isn't a day in my life that I don't think about running. Being a mom is my life - it's who I am. Being a runner is my life - it's who I am.

Go to www.mile-posts.blogspot.com to enter my Why You Run Contest. Contest ends 12/1

No comments: