Sunday, January 01, 2006

Setting an example

The new year -- a time for fresh starts and resolutions (and more episodes of Grey's Anatomy -- I swear, I've been in withdrawal from that show). I've been doing a lot of thinking about the example that I set for my daughter. Navigating the minefield that is girls' body image and self confidence is tough, and since my daughter's birth I vowed that she would not have to go through the same crap I did (a grandmother who would greet me in my thinner times with "you are so much more beautiful when you lose weight," a size 4 mother complaining that she needs to lose weight). Instead of focusing on weight, I've been trying to focus on eating healthy, staying active, and nurturing self-confidence. It is not easy.

A large part of that is my running. My daughter sees me as a runner, and has said that she wants to run with me some day. This makes me so happy to see a positive effect; now I just have to sustain it for another 20 or so years.

My first marathon, run a couple of months after my daughter turned 1, was for me, to prove that I could do it. This year's marathon -- when she will be 4 -- will be for her. OK, maybe just a little for me, too.

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

Best of luck to you. All of these weight issues...well, I was relieved to have a boy (this round), because I felt like weight would be my biggest obstacle in raising a daughter. As it stands, my husband has in his head that he was a "fat kid" (I have yet to see evidence of this) and my stocky little 20 month old gets lots of comments from, I suppose, well meaning people that infuriate me.
My advice is keep lots of Runner's World around and steer clear of Vogue. I have fought hard to not be bullimic/anorexic, which is hard when you are still carrying around extra pounds. Reading women's magazines always sends me into a tail spin. It is always a struggle to remember that the thinnest people are not always the healthiest, or the happiest.
I wish you success!