Wednesday, January 06, 2010

The Weather Outside Is Frightful

Despite it being freezing and windy outside yesterday I wanted to run outdoors rather than on the treadmill. I needed to do a tempo and they just seem harder/longer on the mill. Hubby came home a tad later than normal so I started my run just before dusk.

I'd like to give a huge sarcastic thank you to the wind. Thank you for making that run the hardest tempo of my recent memory. 8:53, 8:34, 7:08, 7:15, 7:03, 8:38, 8:26, 8:34. While the actual tempo part was only three miles it felt like 10. I was putting forth maximum effort and not getting the results I wanted/needed. I knew every passing car thought I was insane. I saw ONE other runner out there in the entire time I was out there.

I'm sorry to complain to all of you who live in colder temps than I do, but I'm not a winter weather kinda gal. I don't ski, I don't snowboard, I actually don't even really like sledding and making snowmen. I much prefer to the enjoy the snow and cold from the warmth of my own home while drinking tea or hot chocolate.

The weather for today says it feels like 26 degrees. I find that funny because both MR PIC and her twin sister[at different times] told me that it felt warmer out this morning. If 26 is warm, then I definitely am living in the wrong state.

I was planning on doing my long run of 18 miles Friday morning. Good old weather.com has the temp at 29 degrees with a windchill that will make it feel 19. *Insert sad face*

I told myself over and over yesterday during those hard miles that I will have a leg up this spring on runners who didn't train all winter....but let's be honest - I'm not sure if this is going to count as training, more like surviving.

No comments: