Thursday, October 29, 2009

Where oh where is Dorothy?


I'm here but surprisingly don't have much to say about running. Why you may ask? Well it seems that after Freedom's Run something was ignited inside of me. I was frustrated/happy/angry/sad/elated and found that all my energy was best focused on Marine Corps in order to feel normal again so I blogged and blogged. With that being said I ran *the time of my life* at MCM this past Sunday and am just plain happy.

I knew in the first couple of miles that my ultimate goal of 3:25ish was not going to be run that day. My legs were tired - tired from Ragnar Relay - tired from Freedom's Run - tired from sitting in class for two days straight - tired. I did however still feel that I had some sort of fitness left even though I completely was coming to grips with the fact that I probably peaked at Freedom's Run or even Ragnar Relay. Instead of getting angry or upset, I felt a sense of peace. I felt like I was having fun. Fun you may ask? How can I describe running a marathon as fun. Well it was just that. All twelve of my marathons - whether or not I had a good time - whether or not I hit the wall - were some of the happiest days of my life. So yes even though I was tired, I was having fun. This marathon literally went by faster than any of my other marathons and here is why.

I did not start out too fast - in fact I started out wayyyy slower than my goal of 8 min pace - 8:43 in part to the fact that it was more crammed than any MCM I have run before. This unknowingly helped me to never really hit the wall. Sure I slowed down - but it wasn't from hitting the wall - it was from my legs telling me "Dorothy you have asked us for allot and we are trying to give you allot but girlfriend for the LOVE will you please stop asking us to race back to back marathons?!?!" The time also flew because I was looking forward to seeing my husband at mile 10, mile 15, and mile 21. Each time he handed me a full water bottle and I handed him my empty one, I just couldn't wait till I was at 21 when he would run me into the finish. It went by fast because I realized that since the April of 2008 - I have had a baby(Miles), lost the baby weight, nursed my son for 15 months, took care of two kids and kept our townhouse clean while trying to sell it, sold our townhouse and packed it up, moved to a house and unpacked, ran 6 marathons, pr'ed at 3, qualified and ran the Boston Marathon, re-qualified three times for Boston, ran Ragnar Relay(Team Saucony Rocks) and came in 2nd overall with a team average of just over 7 minute pace for all 197 miles, and ran and pr'ed at every race distance in 2009. WOW. I just ran and kept thinking about how proud of myself I was. How amazed at all this girl had accomplished. How I would have never guessed that I would have made it to this point in my life! Who knew that a girl who used to run 11 minute miles would one day run a 3:31 marathon?!? Certainly not me!

I guess the peace from the race is spilling over and I just haven't had that much to say. That and I've been busy recovering, working on my coaching test, and tomorrow I have to sit in another class ALL day long so I can become CPR and first aid certified.

So there you have it. That is where I have been :)

No comments: